The Land inside the Walls25 May 2016
When the gates were opened to the public in January 2015, ‘Het land binnen de muren’ was presented, a series of stories about Marineterrein Amsterdam. Since then, many foreign visitors have passed the gates. That’s why there is now an English language edition; The Land Inside the Walls.
In the summer of 2014, in an effort to convey a sense of the unique character of the closed site, we asked permission to enter the land inside these walls with five authors. Marines and historians inducted these five into the history, secret operations, remarkable individuals and special culture of this urban enclave.
A year since the book was first published to mark the opening of the gate, a great deal has happened at the Marineterrein. The Voorwerf and the quay opened to the public and the empty spaces welcomed innovative organisations that are hoping to help shape the site’s future. This place appeals to them because of its peace, concentration and no-nonsense mentality. Together they are working on solutions for a sustainable society. And so, once again, the site takes on new meaning for the city.
It is important that everybody who comes into contact with the Marineterrein is familiar with the stories and the extraordinary history of this place. That is why we made this book. And because we attract more and more foreign visitors these days, we urgently needed an English language edition of The Land Inside the Walls.
- The Land within the Walls (EN) is available at the visitors centre of the Marineterrein Amsterdam, which you can find inside the green historic entrance.
- Address: Kattenburgerstraat 5, Amsterdam.
- The visitors centre is open during office hours; Monday- Friday 9.30 AM – 5.30 PM.
- Price: €4,95 (cash only)
- Writers: Daan Heerma van Voss, Gustaaf Peek, Carolina Trujillo, Niña Weijers en Allard Schröder.
- Published by: Das Magazin
- Initiator: Sjoerd ter Borg