YIP stimulates talent development and entrepeneurship
This spring, the Young Innovators Programme is being launched at Marineterrein Amsterdam. This programme offers children, especially those living in the local area, the opportunity to develop their talents on the Marineterrein and discover their entrepreneurial spirit.
The Young Innovators Programme offers children from age 8 to 12 years the chance to discover their own talents and entrepreneurship, with exciting after-school activities at inspiring organizations. They will get to do some experimenting at OBA Maakplaats 021 in Amsterdam Public Library, explore the Media Jungle with Cinekid, learn to code with Codam, and get some exercise with Bijlmerbajes Boxing School. But it doesn’t stop there. The 2020-2021 season will also feature events focusing on art & science, circular economy, and privacy & big data.
- Four different workshops (see box below for more info)
- Suitable for ages 8 to 12 years
- Aimed at children living near the Marineterrein
- Workshops start in March
This initiative was created to find a solution to a wide range of social issues. How can we as a society help schools and children in times of teacher shortages, growing inequality, and far-reaching digitalization? The Young Innovators Programme helps take the pressure off schools, and introduces children to new technologies outside of class, where they can learn more about themselves and the world around them.
Interested? Register from 7 February on the Aanbod Naschoolse Activiteiten Amsterdam website.
The following workshops will be starting from March:
1. OBA Maakplaats 021 – Monday 2, 9, 16, and 23 March 2020 (four times)
OBA Maakplaats 021 is a network of makerspaces in various branches of Amsterdam Public Library, where local children can develop their creativity and skills. Are you or do you want to become an inventor, robot builder, or designer? Want to learn more about 3D printing, laser cutting, or coding with a Micro:bit? Then this workshop series is just for you.
2. Bijlmerbajes Boxing School – Wednesday 8, 15, and 22 April, 13, 20, and 27 May, and 3 and 10 June 2020 (eight times)
At Bijlmerbajes Boxing School, we believe in the power of sport as a channel to express yourself and to build up your strength – literally and figuratively. You’re sure to hit it big! We will develop new skills, increase our strength, and enjoy some outdoor sport on the Marineterrein. Everyone is welcome!
3. Codam – Thursday 2, 9, 16, and 23 April 2020 (four times)
Are you the creative type? Do you like solving problems and working together? Then you might not have thought about it, but programming is really something for you. Together with students at Codam, the best coding school in the world, you’ll get to design a real escape room. You don’t have to be that great with computers. Simply join in and discover the endless possibilities of coding.
4. Cinekid – Friday 15 and 29 May, and 5 and 12 June 2020 (four times)Are you into film, animation, and new media? At Cinekid, based on the Marineterrein, you’ll get to take part in a different workshop each week. Make your own movie with a green screen, create your own animation, and delve into the online world of the Media Jungle. Play, discover, and learn all about the latest media.