Next steps in the decision-making process9 September 2021
The planning and decision-making process of Marineterrein Amsterdam is now in its second phase. Earlier this year, the municipality asked both the people in the neighborhood and community of the Marineterrein to respond to future plans during several ‘buurtgesprekken’.
As a next step, the municipality will adjust the Nota van Uitgangspunten (Memorandum of Principles), which will be presented to the council and the public later this year. Last week, the municipality published another information paper about the current plans and the people’s reactions;
How the developments started;
- In 2011, the Ministry of Defense decided to leave the Marineterrein in Amsterdam – for most part.
- In 2013, the national government and the municipality of Amsterdam laid down joint principles for the redevelopment of the Marineterrein.
- In January 2015, the first part of the site, the Voorwerf, opened and the gradual development of Marineterrein Amsterdam was started.
How the Planning and Decision-making process is carried out by the Municipality of Amsterdam;
- Phase 1: the Principenota, or the exploration phase. This process was completed in 2017.
- Phase 2: The Projectnota (including the Nota van Uitgangspunten). This process started in 2021.
- Phase 3: Investment decision.
- Phase 4: Execution. This phase is expected to start after 2027.
A new military base
Defense is currently preparing for the construction of a new, compact military base in the northeast corner of the Marineterrein. This also includes a sports field that residents of Amsterdam can use. The new base is expected to be completed in 2027.