Introducing: Jescha Meijer

12 January 2021

Meet Jescha, who recently joined the maintenance team of the Marineterrein.

Did you already know the Marineterrein before you came to work here?

“I was born and raised on the Oostelijke Eilanden, the Marineterrein had always been a mysterious place behind closed walls. ‘What a wonderful, peaceful place’, was the thing I thought when I first entered the area. The Marineterrein is a hidden gem in a crowded, busy city. I hope it stays that way“

How does a working day look like for the maintenance team?

“Well, the installations we inherited from the Ministry of Defense are quite outdated. We need to put in a lot of time and care to keep them running. And because a lot of different people are working on the Marineterrein, we are always busy with locks and keys. And, of course, keeping the outdoor area accessible and tidy is a daily job. Recently, we installed new waste containers. They have much larger valves, which makes it much easier for the community to get rid of cardboard boxes.’ 

What do you like most about your job?

‘I was a nurse in psychiatry before I joined the maintenance team. I am very happy that my work now is just as meaningful, because I can make a contribution to the mission of the Marineterrein; finding solutions for a more liveable city. What I like most about my job is that I spend most of the day outside. When I get home I am very tired, but in a good way.’